Fr Andrew’s reflection on World Mission Sunday

Today is World Mission Sunday, which is set aside each year for us to join together at Mass to pray, celebrate and care for the whole family of the Church. As St Paul reminds us in today’s Second Reading, we are all missionaries, called to ‘proclaim the message and, welcome and unwelcome, insist on it’. We have a precious gift, the Catholic Christian faith, and all of us have a part to play in bringing the Good News of Jesus Christ to the world in which we live and so build up his Kingdom. Our Lord asks in today’s Gospel, ‘when the Son of Man comes, will he find any faith on earth?’ What is our response to him? How do I spread the Gospel and build up my faith?

 

Some 40% of dioceses throughout the world – the ‘mission territories’, usually in the developing world – need the help of the remaining 60% of dioceses, including those in England & Wales, to survive and grow to self-sufficiency. Even more challenging is the fact that more than half of the world’s people have never heard of Jesus and so don’t know that they are loved unconditionally by God.

 

Through Missio, the Pontifical Missionary Societies, our donations support the work of missionaries and the younger Churches as they build parishes and schools, support priests and catechists, provide healthcare and share faith, often in difficult and dangerous circumstances, so that all may know God’s love and live a life of dignity.

 

Today we have an extra collection after we have received Holy Communion; this will go in its entirety to support mission projects worldwide. Please give what you can in response to what you receive from the Church of which you are a part. Please pray for those missionaries who proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ, sometimes in very challenging circumstances. And let us ask God for the grace that we may play our part in bringing Jesus to those with whom we live. Thank you for your help.

 

Fr Andrew

Previous Article
Next Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

Mass Times

Term Time and Holidays:
Sundays at 11am,
Great Hall, Trent Building

Term Time Only:
Tuesdays at 5.15pm,
Chapel, Portland Building

Fridays at 12.15pm,
Open Room, Xu Yafen Building
(formerly Amenities Building), Jubilee

Subscribe

Disclaimer

This blog is a forum for discussion of ideas from a faith-based perspective. The views expressed on it are those of the authors and cannot be held to represent those of the Diocese of Nottingham or the University of Nottingham Catholic Chaplaincy.

Archives